Editor - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Mid-Atlantic Media, a fast-growing publisher of niche community and ethnic titles, is seeking an editor to lead a couple of its publication titles - including the award-winning, 134 year old Jewish Exponent.
We’re looking for a leader who will be involved in the fabric of the Philadelphia Jewish community. An editor that will establish relationships and meet regularly with Jewish communal leaders and readers. An editor that can help elevate a publication’s visibility, awareness and journalistic quality. The editor candidate will have the knowledge and ability to understand what readers want, deliver it, and see positive results with reader engagement. An editor that can lead with a “digital 1st” content approach, and secondarily, deliver weekly print products. The candidate will have the ability to edit copious amounts of copy while also serving as a mentor to develop up-and-coming journalistic talent. The editor will have the ability to juggle multiple projects, and the willingness to help shape publications and their online experience is a must. Occasional travel, weeknights and weekends will be expected. Familiarity with the Jewish community is a required.
This is a high-energy position and comes with the opportunity to shape how tens of thousands of readers across a major metro area region digests news and features. This is NOT a remote work position. The editor opportunity is in Philadelphia with an established office and staff writers.
- Must have strong familiarity of Jewish community
- Minimum 5 years of community news experience
- An ability to edit quickly and accurately in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Strong people skills and an ability to manage and motivate a team
- Digital/Technical aptitude, including comfort with Wordpress, digital photography, email content delivery and social media.
- Ability and willingness to wear many hats, from high-level editorial strategy down to shoe-leather journalism and in-person community engagement
- Assignment editor – Help our writers uncover local scoops, select stories for coverage, create a rundown and communicate with officials, sources and readers. Monitor email and social media for story ideas and trends.
- Copy editor – Regularly check and correct our reporters’ copy for errors, awkward phrasing, verbosity and un-engaging wording. Uphold AP Style and our house style.
- Team leader – Set high editorial standards and motivate the teams to produce compelling, accurate community and national journalism that engages readers, obtains followers and makes a difference. When needed, the editor will lead by example, reporting stories themselves and assisting with breaking news coverage.
- Editorial strategist – Engage with the community and help spread the word about our sites and our journalism. Work closely with the publishers to plan and execute further growth. Also, assist other company management for company-wide editorial initiatives.
Looking for a rewarding career in media?
Send your resume and cover letter to Sharon Sigelman, human resources manager:
Please include name of the job in the subject field.