Staff Writer – Washington metro area (DMV)
Mid-Atlantic Media, publisher of Washington Jewish Week (WJW) among others, is looking for an energetic, experienced, assertive, accurate and organized reporter/writer with boundless curiosity and ability to learn quickly.
- Pitch, edit and write multiple news and feature stories each week for both print and digital vehicles
- Work and own your reporting beats to develop sources and story ideas, and to deepen your knowledge of the Jewish community
- Conduct story interviews in person and/or over the phone
- Provide photographs or other artwork for each story you write
- Take photos and video at every opportunity
- Create daily social media posts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Perform administrative tasks (e.g. upload stories to website, compile community calendar, compile obituary listing, proof the pages before publication).
Knowledge of the Washington-area Jewish community, Judaism, Israel and Washington politics are a plus. Teamwork is a must.
Washington Jewish Week is the Jewish newspaper of record in the nation’s capital since 1930. WJW strives, in its award-winning coverage in print and online at www.washingtonjewishweek.com,to be an indispensable source of news about politics, religion, international affairs, trends, the arts, and culture, all while working to build and strengthen our Jewish community.
Mid-Atlantic Media, in addition to publishing WJW also encourages writing for its other publication titles which include Baltimore Jewish Times, Baltimore Style, Baltimore's Child and Washington Family. A terrific opportunity for a journalist to establish clips and get his/her byline out in the marketplace.
Interested? Please send us:
- Your CV;
- A cover letter explaining why you’re interested in this position and why you’d be a great candidate, and;
- Three writing samples
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $32,500.00 - $36,000.00 per year
Looking for a rewarding career in media?
Send your resume and cover letter to Sharon Sigelman, human resources manager:
Please include name of the job in the subject field.